Pages

Monday, November 14, 2011

The Old New Job

Love's Labour's Lost- Jacquenetta Love's Labour's Lost- Sir Nathaniel

That new job I was telling you about?

I was a dresser at the Public Theater-
I would go in early to make sure the clothes are clean
shoes are polished
shirts are pressed.
Then make sure the actors put their clothes on
(which is surprisingly difficult),
Then follow the actors around backstage helping with
quick changes,
Then laundry,
Then go home & do it again the next day.

Love's Labour's Lost- Catherine

I averaged about 55 hours a week
And I loved it.
Who knew I could get somebody
to pay me
to do something I like?

The show had ended now,
but hopefully other doors will open next.

The Public Theater is
"the nation's foremost theatrical producer of Shakespeare and new work,
dedicated to achieving artistic excellence
 while developing an American theater that is accessible and relevant to all people
 through productions of challenging new plays, musicals and innovative stagings of the classics." 
You know, those guys who do
Shakespeare in the Park
and have won 42 Tony Awards, 
149 Obies, 
40 Drama Desk Awards, 
24 Lucille Lortel Awards 
and 4 Pulitzer Prizes.

They're kind of a big deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment