Pages

Monday, July 2, 2012

Bored Backstage?

42nd Street Backstage Notebook

I just finished running wardrobe on
'42nd Street' on Long Island,
which included a marathon of costume changes
during the act I finale- five outfits for 23 actors each
in 20 minutes, I believe.

For the first week of the show
I don't think I took a breath during the entire 
mad dash.

But like anything one does
exactly the same way
every time
seven times a week,
it eventually got routine,
and then boring.

Boring, for me, is what's dangerous.
Boring is when I forget a hat
or don't keep my eyes open
and collide with somebody backstage.

ribbon1

 But boring is also the best part, 
because I can challenge myself to get
just a little bit better
every time.
Boring is when I realize how to super streamline the process.
Boring is when the dancers really relax into their roles
and start having a blast.

No comments:

Post a Comment