The city so nice they named it twice-
a frequent motif in music.
The other day I asked my friends on Facebook
to name as many songs featuring the City as they could.
Here are some of my favorites.
- On Broadway- George Benson
- New York Groove- KISS
- Christopher Street- Leonard Bernstein, Wonderful Town (itself an homage to New York)
- Broadway Baby- Steven Sondheim
- Another Hundred People- Sondheim
- Autumn in New York- Ella Fitsgerald
- 59th Street Bridge Song- Simon & Garfunkel
- An Open Letter to NY- the Beastie Boys
- Eleanor Put Your Boots On- Franz Ferdinand
Musicals love New York
because New York loves Musicals.
Or, these days, their money, anyway.
Many of those songs speak of a
New York we no longer know-
When was the last time a football player was
"unemployed throughout the heat
living on nothing on Christopher Street"?
When was the last time the real artists lived
within 4 express stops of midtown?
But still, these songs are my
Feel free to add your own songs
in the comments.